Saturday, September 06, 2008

on her behalf

I just read this heartbreaking message that was left as a blog comment:

About four years ago, I started having a drink now and then whenever I'd get together with my girlfriends. Up to that time, we were teetotalers. We just never drank. When we had to move to a different state, I resented everything about it. I started drinking more to dull the pain of the losses I felt.Then I started drinking to give me the courage to keep doing things I didn't want to do when we moved into a neighborhood I hated. Now I find myself with a mental dependency on alcohol for getting through events where I want to simply relax and not be agitated. I don't drink when I drive, and I don't work outside the home.

I'm 47 now and I have 2-3 drinks every evening. Even though I know that's unhealthy, what bothers me mostly is that this is my big, dark secret. No one else on earth knows what I do, and I'm too ashamed to talk to any of my friends, and I don't have an understanding family. I know I need to trust the Lord to supply my peace and comfort in ANY situation, and now I'm afraid I'll always be like this. I feel like a terrible person for not loving Him enough to quit this bad, costly, deceitful habit. I'm literally stealing from our income to supply this indulgence. I can't believe my family doesn't suspect something. I know I need to believe that He is my knight in shining armor, but since it seems that I must not believe that since I am not trusting Him to get me out of this, I realize I have dulled His armor and weakened His power (in my eyes). Is it a dumb question to ask if I need professional help?

I wish I could tell her that she could talk to ME. I have addictive tendencies, so this could so easily have been ME! I wish I could tell her that her shame is a sign of a healthy conscience. I wish I could listen to more of her story, reassure her that her husband and friends would probably embrace her and want to help however they could, and remind her that she truly is loved unconditionally by the One who's capable and desirous of seeing her through to the joy, peace, honesty, and freedom she longs for. He remains on His throne no matter how much we rearrange the ballroom chairs.

I can't contact her myself, but I can ask for help on her behalf. Everyone needs a knight in shining armor. I can be her lady-in-waiting. Help your lamb, Lord. This princess needs a fresh revelation of Your love and power. XO

No comments: