Monday, September 22, 2008

on getting older

There are a gillion blog posts and comments out there by women in their 20s who are worried about aging. I'm almost 48, so when I think I'd like to look the ten years younger that beauty products tout, that sounds pretty good--38.  But if you're 27, that'd make you 17--how bad can you look at 27? Wish I could tell them from this side of the hill that they'll never look or feel this fine again and to just take care of themselves and enjoy.

My 30th high school reunion was this summer, but I didn't go. I didn't feel the need or desire. I keep in touch with a handful of friends from my class, and that's perfect for me. It was fun to see the pictures though.
I felt a little voyeurism coming on because I was able to "see" them, but they couldn't see me. [Is that a power thing when we find ourselves privy to a sight or conversation that they thought was private? Fodder for later.] I had no idea who some of the people were so a friend who did attend identified for me the ones she recognized.

I do have a point. One of the things someone wrote in a follow-up email on the reunion was that it was a good time to get together and check in with people, that it's a time in life when you're comfortable with who you are, you've experienced some success, some humbling, some real life, and you know what's bottom line important. Seems like that's a good handle on what it means to finally be comfortable in your own human skin. That's beautiful, and it's true for me for the most part. I only hope it gets even better with age.

While I do admit that vanity is one of my faults (I do NOT leave the house without foundation AND eyeliner AND decent hair), I am grateful that it is not something I dwell on for large amounts of time. From what I understand of the raging effects of menopause, this could very well become a greater beast with time. However, for now, the raging effects of self-absorption, self-protection, and neglect are my battlefronts, things that will lead to the kind of regret people remember in their old age. And I mean, I was never beautiful anyway, so there's not that to grieve. Outer beauty always, always, always fades. But my personality and character--they have the potential to improve with age!

Better get back to work on that. Right after I fix my lipstick.

No comments: