Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving #2

Yesterday went pretty well. I didn't cry this year. No major mishaps and only two threats from my mom. Too bad they were to the foreigner from China. They were somewhere along the lines of "If you don't bring pictures of your parents next time I see you, I'm going to hit you in the head. Then I'll make you walk back to your dorm to get them." In parting, she reiterated that same sentiment. Threat. Whatever.

I made egg drop soup for breakfast, something a little more familiar to Bill (he pronounces it 'beel'). It tasted too much like peas and carrots and not enough like egg. I might try again this morning. It's interesting having a nonChristian here with us for such an intimate holiday, but I like it. He's a nice boy, and I'm learning a lot about Chinese culture. I pretty much like me some Asians. Oh, he liked my mom's Filipino egg rolls a lot, "most like Chinese, but definitely Asian food." He also liked my Jell-o with sour cream in it.

The turkey was a little dry, but that was my fault. I should've injected it to overflowing with injection juice (chicken broth, garlic, and butter), but somehow I only ended up making about half a cup, and I was too tired to make more and play mad scientist again. I worked hard all day, and I just wanted to pour myself into bed by 10:30. And I figured, "That's what gravy is for, right?"

My little brother brought pie. "One pumpkin, and one whatever-you-like." Well, he brought my favorite! And he didn't even know it was my favorite! I know that was from You...

We played Balderdash, and I came in second. Not bad. Losing to Ryan is like placing second in the global spelling bee. I was quite pleased.

Alan likes to go hot tubbing, so we did that to cap off the day. Lovely.

Alan's girls will be coming tomorrow for a ham dinner and our second Thanksgiving celebration. We've never done that before. I'm kind of not looking forward to cooking a bunch of food all over again, but I can get a little more demanding about some help if I need to. I have to make one of the desserts this time since Alan supplied the ham. Fortunately, I like making desserts. Don't believe my folks will be coming since dinner's later, and they don't like driving after dark. No more anecdotes from Mom this time. Hope we're not bored.

2 comments:

annie.michele said...

You put on a MAGNIFICENT day, I know you did. And just because your mom will be absent by no means indicates boredom, um HELLO, you'll be there and if you get desperate just call me. ;)

Betty Steward said...

You always find something nice to say, something that you put some thought into. Thanks! I appreciate it.