Friday, October 31, 2008

one difference

I realized something vitally different between my husband and me. When he gets in trouble, he immediately starts attacking. He launches into a diatribe about how stupid [fill in the blank] is and how he totally didn't deserve [whatever it was]. This summer he got a ticket for letting the boys ride in our trailered boat on the road back to the campsite. There proceeded a weeks-long rehash of the event, culminating in a letter of explanation submitted to the Grant County District Court that I ended up fine tuning and typing out but still was too big to fit into the space provided because he wanted to explain absolutely everything so as to make the judge see how unfair the ticket was, so I taped it on the form as a kind of flap. It ended up getting dismissed. That only fueled the machine.

He came in the door tonight and announced that he got a speeding ticket. Déjà vu.

When I get in trouble, if that had been me who got a ticket, my response totally would've been I am so stupid! How could I have let that happen?! Oh, that was so stupid!

I'm thinking it might somehow be easier to blame someone else for my blunder. Being a victim allows for indignance, righteous defense, and my pride to remain intact. Sounds like a good deal all the way around.

Just can't do it though........... I'm SO clearly at fault in my mind. I can't even think that someone else might be to blame until someone either suggests it, or I stew about it so long that some telltale sign finally falls into place so as to be completely obvious. I'm talking instances like speeding tickets, dodging jury duty, snarking sarcastic replies, bellowing clever insults, evading undesirables, all things in the RCW as well as the KJV.

This sounds so judgmental. Maybe I'm half-venting, half-judging, half-confessing...... =) I must state here that I LOVE my husband. His manner toward me 99 percent of the time is so kind, patient, loving, and caring. I just wanted to mark this difference. He might disagree with it or say it's not really accurate. Whatever--it's my blog. My view, my vent, my blog. I get it out, and then I'm over it. Just so y'know......

I have to work today. I also have to drive. I pray I will walk deep inside the Vine today so that I might not speed, dodge, snark, bellow, evade, or otherwise bring any manner of unglory to my Lord, whose smile I live for.

No comments: