Monday, June 02, 2008

mememe

There's a talk show I watch, and the host is into what I'd consider New Age thinking for the most part--what good you do for yourself and others improves yourself and the world. I was listening to a couple of recent guests who promote this topic, and I lost count of the number of references to I, I, I and then you, you, you. One is an author who wrote a book about quantum changes--what you do for yourself affects others and the world at large. I am not a quick thinker and an even worse analyzer, but even I noticed the constant references to self. The consistent thread with these guests is all these admonitions to be a kinder person, to do random acts of kindness, statements to the effect of "showing kindness is not something you do--it's something you are," and "when you show even the smallest kindness toward someone, it makes you feel better about yourself." In the end, eating healthy, being kind, exercising, being positive, all these betterment techniques--the focus is on self. If I do something for you, it'll make me feel better, and it'll make the world a better place, which will make me feel better about myself because I contributed to that, which makes me a better person.

So really, what you're saying is that it really IS all about me!

It all fell so flat for me and was so utterly empty. I felt sad for them, which reminded me of a line from a song, "Break my heart for what breaks Yours," (Hillsong United). No matter WHAT I do, if it originates from my flesh, it is of no lasting value. The world does not acknowledge knowing and enjoying the God of Jesus Christ as the chief end of man and will always strive to fill that God-shaped hole with anything that promises to make it feel better, and they set self on a throne of sand and mist.

I pray for this talk show host, but now I pray with a greater sense of urgency in light of world events (my new most-used phrase).

2 comments:

annie.michele said...

Didn't I look so good yesterday? I just had so much fun. Mememe.

I had no idea you didn't know about Ben & I...so sorry. =( The look on your face was sheer mortification. There really is not much of a back-story, except to say that it is much more definite this time around, and I have not looked back. Am doing really well with it. :)

I will have wedding photos on my blog soon...stop by for some fun!

Kerri W. said...

I don't think I ever told you how much your sweet comments mean to me! You are this beam of sunshine that I can feel all the way over here. It's true. I'm not lying. :) Anyway, your kind words truly make my day. Thank you for reading my random blogs!

I really like your post here; isn't it amazing how the shift in our culture is becoming more and more self-centered? And sometimes, like in the show you described, it's less obvious but absolutely still there. It's pretty crazy. And, unfortunately, sometimes it's easy for me to get wrapped up in it without thinking.

Sometimes I need a good smack in the head to get on the right track.

(Oh, and by the way, I hope I "never remember this day"! Still makes me laugh. Heehee...)