Thursday, April 17, 2008

odd day

It was one of those odd days, just kinda weird stuff that you never saw coming, a list of head scratchers.

My poor husband... He's been dealing with chronic, stabbing pain in his right ankle for a year now. I went with him to the doctor to review the results of his MRI and were told he has marrow edema--fluid where ankle bone should be--as well as cartilage that's worn away. The words "degenerative osteo necrosis" flashed thoughts of "dying bone and it's only gonna get worse" into the 300-ring circus that is my imagination. His first questions was, "Can I still ride my motorcycle?" (No, but he will anyway.) They put him in a walking cast for a month in hopes that immobilization will allow the body to start healing itself. If this doesn't work, he'll have surgery where they'll break a bone that's in the way in order to get to the edema. All this was pretty disheartening to him. "I feel like a racehorse that's been tied to the fence."

I drove from that point on because the boot's so wide that he hits the gas and brake pedals at the same time. Except when we got to our road. He drove the rest of the way with his left foot just for giggles.

At the grocery store, a couple of people asked questions of me in the same tone as you would an employee. I was even pushing a cart. I swear I have tattooed on my head, "I can help you." No big deal though, I was glad to help. Wish I could've helped my own self. Somehow, the dollar I saved on milk got swallowed up by the extra $2.50 I spent on Coke because I forgot to tell him I had another one, and it was a must-buy-2 deal, so he charged me full price for each in two separate transactions... When I unloaded the groceries at home, the handle of the Coke case completely tore out of my hand, and cans rolled out in slow motion even as I tried to tip back the box and stop the bleeding. A small amber puddle grew as one can spewed from its tiny puncture wound. Served that one on the rocks to my still bummed husband.

While I went for a walk, Kev went for a motorcycle ride. When he got back, his registration was missing from the saddlebag. He either accidentally pulled it out with the package he delivered to a friend, or else it blew out on the way home because he forgot to buckle the li
d, which actually seems too heavy to "flap." We retraced his route looking for it all the way to town and back, but nada.

[Turns to Thought Salad here...]

My horse had a rock in his hoof. His feet stink. Did you know the soft, rubbery thingy in the center of a hoof is called a frog?

I didn't drink enough water today. I always drink enough water...

I saw two bees doing the birds & the bees thing. Didn't know they did that outside the hive... It's not as gross as dogs. Did you know that the males (drones) don't have stingers? They have only one purpose in life...

Jylle made a weird video of herself on my camera. She's hugging a wall and singing. I've got to ask her about that...

It was generally an odd day. Stuff happened that was out of the ordinary. The sweet blessing in it was that no matter what happened, odd or boring or otherwise, I was okay with everything. My insides were still spring green. Normally my mood absorbs the emotions of the person I'm with, but I never felt disheartened or bummed myself, even though Kev was. I felt protected from going there, and for that I am sincerely grateful.

No comments: