Monday, April 07, 2008

the inimitable Dr. Suess

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. ~Dr. Suess


This is so for me. I've been known to turn right around and call someone or write a letter immediately following our time together. I miss you most right after I've seen you. I'm all over the emotions of life, good, bad, or twixy.

Having come off a week with Brett, and then a week with Ry & JB, I miss having my kids around. Brett's the hardest because he doesn't live here anymore, and his time with us is marked by countdowns. I cannot drink in enough of him to satiate the part of me that simply wants him near. I miss knowing Jylle is right around the corner, or having her come up behind me and kiss my shoulder, then rest her chin on it. I miss knowing Ryan is in the basement--not exactly mixing with us, but still here. I miss him coming up and scoping out the fridge every half hour as if something really good might have shown up magically since the last time. I miss his being able to laugh & joke all the time instead of being weighted and bent down by the bearing pressure of finding money for college. This is a hard time for him, so as a mom, it's hard for me, too.

That's why when I read this quote, it plopped down on the big arm chair in my heart and hunkered down. I think I'm a fairly grateful person most of the time. But it's easy to be grateful when there's no pain or longing involved. I'm A.D.D. enough that my emotions yank my eyes away from the positive with no struggle, away from what I really and truly can be thankful for.

So I dust off the I miss you's, look with pleasure and gratitude at the fun and blessing I've just had, and look forward to the more that will come, I bet even sooner than I think.

No comments: