Saturday, May 10, 2008

well done

I saw one of Ryan's old buddies the other day, and it was such a joy. He's a man now with beard stubble, he's all muscled out, he carries on a conversation like an adult and is very personable. What I loved was that he had to make a concerted effort to get to us to say hi. That touched me, and I wanted to fling my arms around him and say, “Thank you for growing up so well!” His girlfriend made him promise to say hi to us for her too. How sweet is that?!

This is the kid who every time he came into the room, I’d say, “Say, ‘Hi, Mrs. Mulligan,’ “ which he promptly did, if not a little under duress but which I still totally appreciated. I hope we can go to his graduation party, just so I can fling my arms around him and say, “Thank you for growing up so well!”

No comments: