Wednesday, January 24, 2007

someone else's dreams


When I heard of the plans a young man I know was making, I immediately poo-pooed them and considered them hot air, big talk, and absolutely unaccomplishable. I kept shaking my head and thinking, "He's just like his dad. That's never gonna happen."

I was still headshaking when I shared my new info with my oldest son, who listened politely. When I asked what
his impressions were, he gently said something like, "I hesitate to rain on anyone's dreams. They might sound unreachable, but they're still someone's dreams."

I was speechless.With a gentleness and a wisdom beyond his 17 years, his words instantly placed me back in that higher place of compassion, encouragement, and believing. It is a wide open space of grace, and I was profoundly--and humbly--thankful.


My 12th commandment: I shall not pee in your cornflakes.

No comments: