Wednesday, January 31, 2007

editing job

I'm off to a meeting with a man who has invited me to consider taking on the copy editing job for the addendum to his book about a woman involved in a murder who escaped from prison. If she's still alive, she'd be 103. His grandfather was her defense attorney. The book's already written, and now he's got more material from the woman's grandson, including original articles and family lore.

I checked out some copy editing pages, and even though I already knew I was just a practicing critic, I really know now that I'm a complete amateur. I wasn't even sure if "copy editing" was what it's called that I've been doing for the senior research papers, that is, until last night when I found the definition online.

Lord, if this is something You would have me do, please, please, I need to sense Your very real involvement in the decision. You know I want to bless Your name, and I would only want this if You say it's what You want. High school papers are one thing; copy editing a book seems quite another. I come to You needy and wanting and seeking. Please wrap Your arms around me and speak the words that would drive away any fear. I rest surely in Your safe and loving care, certain that You will have happen what is Your good and perfect will. I love You, Daddy. XO

No comments: