Wednesday, April 27, 2011

and then there were none

One of my nieces wrote this on her Facebook wall:

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. How much time are you actually spending with your children? These precious years will be gone far too soon, fill them with love!

This was my comment:

In the moments of the seeming never-ending day, it's hard to believe it will not always be like this. But then the day comes when there's an empty chair at the table--and then another--and there are no more chances to get it right. Have no regrets. They are your most precious investment.

I write off the cuff, and I found myself all teary before I was even finished! This river of motherhood thing runs deep, yet it is r-i-g-h-t there under the thinnest veil of skin ready to rise and flood. It is called up at surprising times, and even when I am unaware of it, its steady beat and flow are present and so greatly alive.

I have no little ones, just cherished memories of my precious treasures. I have regrets, but I don't live there. What I lacked, neglected, or mucked up, the Lord has or will supply to them His very own self. May they enjoy and take full advantage one fine day of joining this most incredible of clubs...

1 comment:

annie.michele said...

You speak truth. Hard to believe you don't get them all to yourself anymore, but what a privilege for the time it was! And now you have a different yet no less valuable privilege, of watching them live life. You've raised some good ones. Now is one of the hardest parts of the job. And our God has meticulously planned this very day and time. Aren't you glad You listened? ;) Tears or no, He is seeing through on a plan set in motion very long ago. My beautiful friend, you are the reason for so many wonderful things in your kids' lives. Wonderful can mean so many things! It is made so by a God who redeems. Praise Him for making beautiful the things we so often screw up. His faithfulness is astounding, and His use of you (a fine and willing tool) was and is quite choice. Thank you for letting us experience it with you. :)