Thursday, March 03, 2011

Asian English

One of my favorite things to do is to read the English promotions and instructions on Asian packaging. I laughed so hard that I cried one time when Ryan read some to me in an exaggerated Asian accent while I was driving. The guy next to us was pretty entertained by my apoplexy.

While this might be considered pointing-and-laughing by some, amusement at the expense of someone who speaks English as a second language, I am a word girl and consider it to be simply entertaining, no different than when Dat Phan imitates his mother. At least they have a decent grip on a second language, whereas my only claims are Pig Latin and Ubbi Dubbi. Plus, everyone knows you can poke fun at your own race, even if you're only part. My mom elevated it to the level of an Olympic sport!

These are some labels I currently have in the house. I enjoy them, especially when I "hear" Ryan recite them.

Guess you have to soak one stick at a time...

"lustrous, bright, soft and nutrient noodles"

Beware of children under 6 and the elderly.


My Favorite

If I give the goods, they'll send me a new one.

No comments: