Saturday, January 01, 2011

Texas Meets the Pacific Northwest







We picked up Brett and Lydia at the airport on December 23. Brett was all smiles, but poor Lydia looked just short of a seizure, a stricken look on her face and tottering steps as she managed herself on slick and unfamiliar snow. She looked totally unsure of herself--which only further endeared her to me for all her humility and concern. What a gem. I hugged her for all I was worth, beaming with satisfaction at finally holding this lovely soul who'd captivated my Brett. When I finally let go, she exhaled in the sweet relief of that much anticipated First Meeting. Nice for it be over, I'm sure. I so wanted her to know in her deeps how very welcome she was, just as Kev's mom did for me at my own First Meeting.

She quickly fell in step with our family beat and was my favorite child for the week as she anticipated needs and met them without being asked. With her rich theatrical background, her expressiveness and colorful conversation were interesting, informative, and engaging. When I first heard her sing, it was so soft and haunting that it brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful voice... She also plays guitar and piano and knits like nobody's business! (I even hired her to knit a scarf for Zeb.)

The kids played board games, card games, head games (jk!), and got to know one another in the process. We had a bonfire one night, went for a long hike in the woods, and saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The two of them explored a little of Spokane and enjoyed a horseback ride. Well, it was enjoyable after she managed to stay on when my horse took off downhill early on! She taught Jylle how to knit, but somehow I let that opportunity slip through my hands. *sigh* She left me some lovely rust-colored yarn and cute wooden needles though, so I'll have to check out the knitting sites she left for Jylle.

Brett was distracted the morning they left as he considered that he might have to leave without the stand-in ring** he was anxiously awaiting for her from the post office. It arrived indeed, however, so we picked it up in Valley with Brett trying to keep the smile from wrapping around his head eight times. We drove straight to my parents' house so they could exchange a five-minute goodbye, and then we dropped them off at the airport. Kev thought Brett was so excited that he might propose on the plane instead of waiting until that evening!

At the New Year's Eve party that evening, we got a phone call from them announcing their engagement. Ryan was the only one they could reach, so after telling him, he handed the phone to me and wide-eyed, said, "It's Brett." I looked at him, and he nodded and said, "Uh huh!" We had two messages from them when we got home, both of them sounding so happy that I could hear them smiling!

He proposed on a high hill (a mountain by Texas standards, I hear) close to midnight. She nodded 'Yes' vigorously with tears sparkling in her eyes. He originally thought of doing it in front of a bunch of her friends because she's so social, but there was no party, so he opted for Plan B. A deliriously joyful young couple in front of God and a sky no nighttime could darken, I like to think the heavens sang in celebration of what will certainly be one Happily Ever After.

Thank You, Lord...


==================================
**The official one is in the process of being made.

1 comment:

annie.michele said...

You are going to be the best mother-in-law. Sigh. I am so jealous of this sweet girl, she gets you exclusively and for eternity. I hope she knows how lucky she is!!