Friday, December 14, 2007

say that again?

I don't know about where you live, but around here, people mispronounce words all the time. That is one of my pet peeves (that and being asked if I washed something yet that wasn't even in the dirty clothes, I mean come ON). Even with a friend of mine who is well-educated, experienced in life, and even cosmopolitan, I have experienced her occasional bouts of what I now deem "syllabaloney."
  • chic - French word pronounced "sheek" not "chick".
  • Washington - It's "wash" with no R in it, see? no R.
  • hunting - not huntin'. Unless you're from the deep South, the "ing" is still there.
  • basil - BAY-zuhl.The only people allowed to pronoune this BA-zuhl (short A) are the British and anyone in Basil Rathbone's family.
  • Aesop - The Greek fable guy. It's EE-sop, not AY-sop. The entire district staff is saying it wrong! Look it up; ask a kid; click here--or here.
  • nuclear - NOO-klee-er. I know even President Bush says NOO-kyuh-ler, but it's not right!
  • grievous - GREE-vuhs, not GREE-vee-uhs; only two syllables.
  • realtor - REEL-ter, not REEL-uh-ter; again, only two syllables.
  • Abednego - ah-BED-nih-go. The lastly mentioned pal of Shadrach and Meshach. Most people say ah-BEND-a-go. Good name for the twisty slide at the Focus on the Family campus in Colorado Springs.
Maybe I'll add to this list if more syllabaloney comes to mind or if I occasion new ones. So far, so bad.

No comments: