Monday, May 07, 2007

running the race

A friend related this revelation to us during a Bible study. It's based on Hebrews 12:1, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." These are not her quoted words, but the picture as I received it.

...~*~...~*~...~*~...

If we take this verse to mean that there is a great congregation of believers here rooting for us, cheering us on, I can see that they would be like the throng of people who cheer for runners in a race. They live out a godly life before us in humility and courage as well as clap and yell and encourage and generally make a ruckus to inspire us to keep going and to run well.

I saw myself running, running this race of life. I'm doing the best I can, but honestly, I'm tired. I'm getting weary of the ugliness, evil, and horror on every single front page and newscast. My pace is slowing. My head feels heavy and is starting to slump. Feet are pounding. It's getting hard to breathe.

Now I hear the sound of voices. I look up and see this tremendous throng. Cheers erupt as I near. A sea of faces beaming... As one, their chief aim is to inspire me onward so that I might run in victory.

While their love and joy is encouraging, I am truly wearied. I do not want to faint, but my entire body aches, and all I want to do is quit. I am in dire need of something more than what they can give. I recall Hebrews 12:1, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." I search those masses for that One face who promises to be with me constantly. I'm looking, but I don't see Him.

This is totally deflating. This is just the thing that could undo me. I feel myself slowing involuntarily. One more scan of the crowds... He is not there. I don't want to quit. There's so much more to do, so much at stake.

Suddenly, I hear a smaller voice, different from all the rest. He is not in the crowd--He is right next to me, running alongside me stride for stride, cheering me on, THe ultimate coach!
"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." *

I'm still in it.

I am SO still in it. †

=============


* Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments: